How often do you wash your bedsheets? While many of us clean our spreads regularly (I like to change mine out every other week), most of us overlook sanitizing our sofas.
If you have a sofa slip cover, it may be a good idea to wash it at least once a month. In-between washing the slip covers, here are some maintenance tips I’d like to share with y’all. If you don’t have a sofa cover, follow these sofa cleaning and deodorizing tips once a month — or twice a month if you have pets, kids or if you’re sloppy, ha!
1. Dust/wipe down your sofa. You can create your own cleaning solution by mixing a few cups of warm water with several drops of nonabrasive soap. If this is your first time using a particular cleaner, start with the underside of your couch to make sure it doesn’t discolor.
2. Vacuum the nooks and crannies of the sofa. I love my couch because all of the cushions are removable, so I can get the vacuum nozzle deep into the crevices.
3. Deodorize with your fave deodorizer or room freshener.
Here are the products I mentioned in my video. Feel free to experiment with your own favorite deodorizers and share with us in the comments below or tag @goinspirego and use #StyleYourSpirit on social.
▪ Murchison-Hume Boys’ Bathroom deodorizing spritz
▪ Cire Trudon’s Abd el Kader room spray
To make your own deodorizer, mix 50 percent water, 50 percent distilled vinegar and a few drops of essential oils. Pour that bad boy/girl into a spray bottle and get to wiping!
I always feel refreshed by this cleaning ritual — clearing the dust in my couch and moving around stale energy. This straightforward maintenance routine will keep your couch in better condition and extend its life.
If you are on the lookout for a new sofa — eh hem, I know it’s a huge investment — here are some ninja tips for picking out the perfect sofa for your home.